How to Improve Speaking Fluency

By miftachudin arjuna - December 06, 2013

Language is not a matter of science but it is a matter of habit. It is generally belief that habit can be created from our daily practice. In terms of speaking fluency, that concept is applicable and relevant. Before we move any further, let us internalize for a while to interconnect between our speaking fluency and our daily practice. So, have you found something?

Some of us may argue that we have good practice in speaking. However, we still think that our fluency does not significantly improve. Hmmm... is there something wrong with our practice strategies?

There are 2 suggestions proposed to improve our speaking fluency based on my speaking class observation. Formerly, the suggestion emphasizes on the sentence structure. Later, it focuses on the presentation technique. The both explanations are in the following.

A.  Simplify sentence structure.
My students tend to translate their daily Indonesian conversation into English. In fact, their Indonesian mostly focus on the message delivery not on the structure of the message itself. As result, their English sentence structure is messed up as they never pay attention to their Indonesian sentence structure. In order to overcome such issue, I decide to give them 4 guidance to follow. The intention of the guidance is to make clear and precise speaking in English.
  1. Make simple sentences: Subject + Verb + Complement (optional).
  2. Make the sentences in active voice. 
  3. Directly translate the Indonesian vocabulary into English one without any further consideration of finding natural English expressions.
  4. Keep the speaking up although some words are still in Indonesian.
Original Version:
Until campus, I joint the class with orderly although sometimes I not hear says teacher. After kuliah finish, I go home, than take a rest. Than watching film korea (my favourite). At 17.30 WIB, I take a bath to freshing my body. I finish take a bath and doing my praying than reading Al qur’an. Finish it all, I melanjutkan watching film. At 21.00 o’clock, I go to sleep. 

Revised Version:
At campus, I eagerly join the classes although I sometimes find the lectures difficult to catch. After the classes are over, I go home directly, take a rest and watch my favourite Korean movies. At 5.30pm, I take a bath to refresh my body, offer magrib prayer and recite Alqur’an. After all, I continue watching movies until 9am. This is the time for me to go to sleep. 

B. Orderly present the saying.
Having discussed the sentence structure, I will explain about presentation technique as the second strategy to improve our speaking fluency. Basically, our presentation must contains these 3 parts.
  1. Tell what we will say
  2. Tell what we want to say
  3. Tell what we have said
We must bear in mind that the audience of our speaking are mostly unfamiliar with our discussion topic. By following such order, speakers and audience take benefits from one into another. Speakers become more fluent because they keep focus on topic sentences. On the other hand, the audience are much more easier to grasp and digest the discussion topic from such structure.

Original Version:
Topic: Unforgettable Past Experience
  • When I was 6 years old in school I played with my friend. I'm plating very naughty. I climbed a tree and fence but unfortunately I felt from that fence and I wanna to keep smile and said no problem. It's just little accident. My friend said 'Devi, blood in your forehead. Oh my God I cried and my teacher take me hospital.
  • When I was ten years old my parents gave birthday party but actually I dislike party just like price. ...(sentences)
  • When I was child I think chilli is sweet. ... (sentences)
Revised Version:
Introduction
  • Good morning everyone. It's nice to see you. My name is Dewi.
1. Tell what we will say
  • In this occasion, I will explain about my 3 unforgettable past experience. 
2. Tell what we want to say
  • OK, I will start from the first one. It was a little accident when I climbed a tree and a fence. ...(supporting sentences)
  • Well, dear friends. That is my first unforgettable past experience. The next one is about my hatred toward parties. ...(supporting sentences)
  • My third unforgettable past experience is about bad experience of tasting hot chilli. ... (supporting sentences)
3. Tell what we have said
  • All right, that's my story about 3 unforgettable past experience. They include a little accident when I climbed a tree and a fence, my hatred towards parties, and bad experience of tasting hot chilli.
Closing 
  • Thank you for your attention. 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. How to discard not confident feeling?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here are some suggestions mbak:
    1. Use any chances to speak in public such as class presentation, question and answer session, or public speaking in different level.
    2. Prepare and practice your presentation material earlier before the presentation day
    3. Be in time on your presentation day. If the presentation is at 9am, you should arrive before that time. It is beneficial to prepare yourself psychologically.

    ReplyDelete