Giving Instruction

By miftachudin arjuna - March 10, 2016

1. Use the imperative form
  • Be quiet!
  • Take care!
  • Listen to me carefully!
2. Use a modal verb to turn the order into a request
  • You should help her
  • Could you make me some tea?
  • Can you come here please?
  • Will you shut the door please?
  • Would you wait here until the doctor is ready for you?
3. Use an introductory phrase to soften the order
  • Would you mind possibly… (+ ing) (Most indirect)
    • Would you mind possibly moving your car? It's parked right in front of mine.
  • I was hoping you could … (+ infinitive without to)
    • I was hoping you could spare me a few minutes this morning.
  • Do you think you could … (+ infinitive without to)
    • Do you think you could do this photocopying for me?
  • If you have a couple of minutes spare…
    • If you have a couple of minutes spare, the office needs tidying up.I'd like you to…
  • I'd like you to file this correspondence for me.
  • I want you to…
  • I want you to finish this by tomorrow.
4. Use sequencing words
  • Firstly, make sure the appliance is disconnected.
  • Secondly, open the back with a screwdriver.
  • Then, carefully pull out the two black cables….



Samples Conversation

Mother : Lucy wash your hands before eating.
Lucy : Yes, mom.
Mother : And turn off the tap before you leave the wash basin. Don't let the water overflow.
Lucy : Okay, Mom. but why?
Mom : oh .... Lucy, don't forget that it is the dry season now.
Lucy : yes Mom, I watch them on television
Mom : So, you cannot let water flow for nothing, while a lot of people outside are unable to use even a small amount of it. We should help the planet to preserve water for everyone.
Lucy : Yes Mom, I'll always remember that.

--

Question: How do you operate (…this camera)?
Instruction: First, you look through the view finder and the push the red button to take the picture.

Question: Can you show me how to (…use the FAX machine)?
Instruction: After entering the phone number put the document in this slot and then press sent.

Question: Do you know how to (… save a PDF file on a computer)?
Instruction: Sure, click the file menu and select save. Select the folder you want to save it in, give the file a name and then click save.

Question: How do I go about (… making an omelet)?
Instruction: First crack two egss and put them in s bowl. After beating the eggs add other desired ingredients such as peppers, onions mushrooms, etc. After that, put a little oil in a pan and pour the egss into the pan. Cook for one minute and then turn the egg over and cook another minute.

--

Expression: Could you repeat that, please?
Response: Certainly, the answer is no.

Expression: What did you say?
Response: I said the answer is the planet Pluto.

Expression: One more time.
Response: What is the chemical symbol for zinc?

Expression: Come again.
Response: The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain.

Expression: Please speak more slowly.
Response: Of course, I’m sorry.

Expression: I’m sorry; I don’t understand the expression (… fill in this form).
Response: It means to answer all the questions or supply the information on that piece of paper.

--

Mr.Budi : Good morning my students
students : Good morning Sir
Mr Kin : Do yo know what are we going to study? Well, today I will show you how to operate about coreldraw program. Firstly, turn on your computer.
students : Yes sir
Mr.Budi : Secondly, click the coreldraw icon located at the main dekstop
students : Alright sir
Mr kin : Then, draw an icon from the shape tool and be creative from it!
students : Alright sir

--

Instructor : Hey Children, I am going to instruct you some basic techniques
Children : Horrey
Instructor : First, jump as high as you can !
Children : Okey sir
Instructor : Second, set your racket as comfortable as you can
Children : We get it sir
Instructor : Then lets get practice now
Children : lets go!

--

Abi : Hi, How are you ?
Father : Hmm not good
Abi : Why?
Father : Because my exam is failed
Abi : Oh really ? Why your exam failed ?
Father : I’m not study
Abi : You must study hard. Firstly, you have to prepare you material. Then read all the lessons, Don’t forget to ask your teacher when you do not understand. Finally, review you lessons. So that your exam will be satisfying
Father : Yes father. Thank you

--

Rani: You know, I’m thinking about designing a website for our company.
Bidu: You’re right but we have no one who has got good command of codding and webbing.
Rani: That doesn’t matter. We can learn it. Let me read the instruction to make a website. First of all, login to home page. Click on the ink in the navigation panel. Then, click the ‘Sign Up Now’. Now create your Website.
Bidu: Wow. That’s easy. I think we can do it.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments