Teaching Vocabulary for Young Learners

By miftachudin arjuna - January 09, 2014

http://englishforkidsnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/7.jpg
In the previous month, I have proven to my younger sister that I can teach a new vocabulary to her a year old son only in 5 minutes. When I faced her son, I saw a jar of candies. I started to mention these candy to the little boy. He said 'Permen'. I said 'This is candy, candy, candy, candy!'. He insisted to say 'Permeeen!'. I replied 'This is candy, candy, candy'. At last, he said 'candy'. Until now, I always mention Permen as Candy to him. Interestingly, he always say candy instead of permen.

The first important point from the previous illustration is the exposure process and the level of frequency. That exposure process can be practiced to other words and vocabulary. Drill and repetition are important to input new vocabulary into short term memory and store them into long term memory. At last, that boy has a new word; candy.

The next important point is visualisation. That boy remembers better because I teach him with artifact of real candies. Therefore, he can visualize the image of candy in his mind when I mention the word candy to him in another occasion.

Questions and Answers: 
  1. What is the goal of using word card in memorizing vocabulary?
  2. What should teachers do to interest students learning vocabulary?
  3. How do children differentiate the homonym such as Ask-Us or Know-No?
  4. What should students do to enrich their vocabulary?
  5. How do teachers combine between learning vocabulary and playing?
  6. How do teachers teach vocabulary?

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments